Introduction to Forest School Ethos & Principles, Wicklow, May 2021
This introductory course is suitable for those interested in the Forest School ethos which will be explored through the six Forest School principles along with lots of interactive learning.
The curriculum covered will include:
- Exploring what “Forest School” means and what differentiates it from other types of outdoor learning.
- Experiencing a range of Forest School activities and the Forest School approach to working with learners.
- Learning approaches to basic identification of woodland species, both flora, and fauna.
- Looking at seasonal activities at Forest School and impacts on the woodland environment.
- Understand how we support and assess risk at Forest School.
We aim for you to:
- Explore and experience learning about the woods through the FS ethos.
- Have fun practicing useful outdoor skills like ropes and tools.
- Play a variety of games, create using loose parts, make natural crafts.
- Enjoy the freedom to follow your curiosity and experience a range of activities, learn with others and on your own.
- Understand we have thought about safety and appropriate risk-taking.
- Be more empowered and confident to bring children outdoors to play and learn as appropriate to your comfort level.
Important to note, this is not an accredited course and does not qualify you as a Forest School leader/practitioner or go towards FS leader training credits.
Dates: Friday 21st & Saturday 22nd May, 2021
Where: Castleruddery Organic Farm & Shop, near Donard, Co. Wicklow. Google maps link.
Time: Registration is at 9.15 am. The group will walk from the carpark to the site at 9:30 am sharp, until 4.00 pm each day.
Cost: €195.00 (plus booking fee).